On this day in Paducah history, February 19, 1901, the Sun, reported that Paducah’s Ministerial Association, made up of local pastors and priests, had met the previous night to the discuss the necessity of a public library in Paducah. The clergy all agreed that Paducah was “behind other places of her size and importance in this important matter.” The Rev. G.W. Perryman of First Baptist Church was elected to contact Andrew Carnegie about the possibility of bringing a library to Paducah.
The Rev. Perryman was good to his word and a Carnegie Library was indeed erected in Paducah in 1904 at the corner of 9th and Broadway.
For more information about the Carnegie Library, please visit us at the Local and Family History Department at the McCracken County Public Library.