UPDATE: We are no longer actively taking applications for these positions.
We’re looking for some part-time clerks to join the Library family!
Here’s what you need to be:
- At least 16 years old. (Sorry, kids).
- A quick learner that’s pretty good with numbers. Staff members are expected to occasionally do quick mental math to make change. You should be ready to learn the Dewey Decimal System for non-fiction books, and catch on quickly to how books, DVDs, CDs, and other materials are arranged.
- Able to lift moderately heavy things. Books can get heavy. You’ll be surprised.
- A team player. The Library can be an incredibly fun and rewarding place to work, but you have to do your part to make it that way.
- Willing to work hard. Following instructions from your supervisors and leaving laziness at the door are important.
Here’s some of the things you can expect to be doing:
- Shelving. Lots of shelving, especially at first. Without having a good working knowledge of the collection, you can’t be effective at the other tasks you’ll be assigned.
- Processing returned items. A.K.A., check-in. Items will come in, you’ll check cases to make sure the right discs are in there, you’ll scan items, you’ll reactivate their built-in security, and you’ll sort them on carts to be shelved.
- Assisting patrons. Perhaps the most important job you’ll do is answer questions from patrons. You’ll be trained on how to use the public card catalogs as well as the staff search to help people find exactly what they need. (This is where extensive shelving experience pays off).
- Check items out. When patrons have found what they need, you’ll access their account and check out their items. You’ll inform them of fines or any other account issues, collect fines if necessary, update records if necessary, and perform other circulation desk tasks.
Here’s how you can apply:
There’s two ways to apply, and we give no preference to the method you choose:
- In person. Visit the first floor check-out desk and we’ll give you an application to fill out.